- I am not down to join the 4:30am Club.
- A pair of mourning doves huddle together beneath a fern in the early dawn air.
- Nailed it in one.
- She stands up to me, for me, against herself. Friendception.
- We talk for hours across the table in her lovely home, full of grays and yellows and dustless decor, and solve our culture’s health problems with prescriptions for better food and more information.
- Helpless. That’s how I feel in the face of her big emotions that come from nowhere, a heartbreaking mystery to both of us.
- What do you do when the organized chaos can no longer be organized?
- I pour the creamy chocolate batter into greased and floured pans and sense a subtle shift. I’m now the kind of woman who has That Cake She Always Bakes.
- His birthday tomorrow. I wish that didn’t make me anxious. At least we have something to talk about this year.
- Ten more days.
Of bird cuddles, big emotions, and being a certain kind of baker.